The accommodation at Hilltop Camp ranges from the self-catering eight-bed Mtwazi Lodge to two-bed and four-bed self-catering and non self-catering accommodation facilities. Hilltop Camp is located in the Hluhluwe sector of the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park.
All rooms are serviced daily. All bed linen and bath towels are provided and the self-catering units have all necessary basic utensils, as well as cutlery and crockery supplied.
The Hilltop Camp is located on the summit of a forested hill and offers fine views of the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park.
Hilltop Camp, the oldest Big Five wildlife accommodation venue in KwaZulu-Natal, was extensively rebuilt and enlarged in the early nineties.
Hilltop Camp at a Glance
- 20 x 2 bed Rondavels (Resthuts)
- 7 x 2 bed self-catering Chalets
- 20 x 2 bed non self-catering Chalets
- 22 x 4 bed self-catering Chalets
- 8 bed Mtwazi Lodge – self-catering
- The Chalet and Rondavel accommodation is booked on a bed and breakfast basis
- All units are air-conditioned
- 4-Bed Chalet accommodation: These self-catering brick under thatch chalets in Hilltop Camp consist of two bedrooms, one larger with an en-suite bathroom that has a bath/shower combination, a toilet and wash hand basin, and the other, slightly smaller bedroom has a shower, wash hand basin and toilet adjacent to it. Bed linen and bath towels are supplied. There is also a kitchen with stove, micro-wave oven, fridge, kettle, crockery and cutlery. In addition to this, there is a lounge/dining room combination, with a television, an outside deck and braai (barbecue) stand.
- 2-Bed Chalet accommodation: These self-catering brick under thatch chalets at Hilltop Camp have one bedroom, with 2 single beds, an en-suite bathroom that has a bath with shower, a toilet and hand basin, as well as a kitchen with stove, micro-wave oven, fridge, kettle, basic utensils, cutlery and crockery– bed linen and bath towels. In addition to this, is a lounge/dining room, this with a television, leading onto an outside deck and braai (barbecue) stand.
- 2-Bed Non Self-catering Chalet accommodation: These brick under thatch chalets at Hilltop Camp consist of one bedroom with a small lounging area, a bar refrigerator and kettle with crockery for tea and coffee, a bathroom with a bath/shower combination, hand-basin and toilet. Bath towels as well as linen for the beds also supplied. There are no self-catering facilities here, not even a braai stand. You would need to dine at the Hilltop Camp restaurant. Maximum 2 guests.
- 2-Bed Rest Huts (Rondavels) : The rest hut accommodation at Hilltop Camp, each has two single beds, a wash hand basin, wardrobe, a small fridge and kettle, with each their own braai stand. Basic cutlery and crockery supplied in the room with bed linen and bath towels. There is a communal kitchen with basic necessary utensils and an ablution block for residents, these are slightly away from the rooms.
Facilities at Hilltop Camp include an a la carte restaurant, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. An attractive bar and lounge, decorated with photographs and memorabilia depicting the history of Hilltop Camp and the Hluhluwe Game Reserve, as well as a gift shop and store, selling curios, basic foodstuffs such as bread, milk, frozen meat, tinned foods and a variety of drinks such as soft drinks, bottled water, beers and spirits, open from 08:00 to 19:00 daily. Suggest you do not rely on getting all supplies for self-catering here. There is also petrol and diesel available at Hilltop camp, sold during the day. A large swimming pool for the use of camp residents is situated within the confines of the camp. A self-guided trail through some remnant indigenous forest is available to guests at Hilltop Camp, and commences at the entrance to the swimming pool.
Hilltop Camp is fenced, so it is relatively safe to move about within the confines of the camp, but it is advised to have a flashlight with you after dark. There is 24 hour main-line electricity with a back-up generator. Some of the Hilltop Camp accommodation units have been modified for wheel-chair access. The units are not air-conditioned, ceiling fans seem to be sufficient and mosquito nets are deemed to be unnecessary.
Minimum age for walks is 16 years old if unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian and 14 years old if accompanied. Guided game drives offered from Hilltop Camp.
The Mpunyane Restaurant at Hilltop Camp offers a full English / buffet breakfast. Lunches from Monday to Saturday are a la carte and on Sundays a hot and cold buffet. Dinners are hot and cold buffet with a traditional braai (barbeque) on Friday evenings. The Chalet accommodation may only be booked on a bed and breakfast basis whether you dine at the restaurant or not.
Selfcatering guests at Hilltop Camp may choose tohave all meals at the restaurant, we suggest booking for dinners and the Sunday luncheon.